Friday, December 25, 2009

Time for Christmas!

It's been awhile since I last posted, but I'm very excited to point out the obvious: It's Christmas! And it's time to start shopping.

Start?! I hear people saying as they read this. But I just got done!

Hey, it's ok. The beauty of starting now is that you're under no deadline to buy. The next time you run to the store to pick up toilet paper, browse the clearance aisle. You'll find plenty of end-of-season deals being sold for cents on the dollar. For now you're seeing what's out there and picking up the things you like.

But . . . my credit card's maxed out and my spouse will KILL me if I get anything more.

These are valid points. Notice that I only mentioned that it's time to start. We don't need to be finished till next Christmas. In the meantime, there are a lot of deals, steals, and homemade projects to take advantage of. My organizational plan is to keep a list of the people I buy for, and throughout the year, if I see a deal that someone would like, I get it. Then I write it on my Santa List for that person, including the price spent, and where I put it. (That last part is crucial!) Come December, I shop to fill in the gaps in my list. This way, you can take advantage of every deal you find.

If you were to divide your typical "Christmas-plus-birthdays" spending by twelve, this is the amount per month you need to save for your gift shopping. The first year you shop in advance, you'll need to employ some solid financial discipline to both purchase your gifts and to pay down your bills. However, once this system is running smoothly, you'll find that you've saved not only by paying a lower price for the gifts, but also by paying no interest on them after the fact.

You mentioned steals?!

I'd never suggest that anybody break the law, but one way to get stocking stuffers is to go to your search engine and type in 'free samples.' You'd be surprised by how much is available for free. This is especially true regarding toiletries and items for children. However, this is not an impulse buy. The shipping usually takes 4-6 weeks, and some items are out of stock. Some freebie sites advertise that they only link to products that have no shipping and handling charges. I recommend these as a good place to start, however sometimes the few dollars spent in shipping and handling is well worth the product you receive. You be the judge. Myself, I refuse to pay for trial products. That's not even about the products themselves. It's just that once the fantastic plastic is in full view, it's a lot easier to use it repeatedly.

And the craft projects?

I have a few hobbies that make nice gifts. Fabric painting and beading jewelry are high on my list. Yes, there is a start-up cost involved, and the products are rarely on sale. I suggest buying the products only after you have a project in mind, and then sticking to the shopping list for that project. But the beauty of homemade gifts is that you can tailor them to the recipient, your own talents are showcased, and if your hours have been cut at work, this gives you something to do - often even with friends who also enjoy a good craft project. Start these in advance. They can be time-consuming.

But I never know what clothing sizes to get for the kids.

And you won't. Children's clothing is best purchased or made near the time they plan to wear them, as they change size quickly and often unpredictably.

As is the case with everything, this system may not be 100% workable during the first year. If you were even able to do this for 50% of your gifts, you'll notice feeling more on the ball, less stressed out, and your finances will start to look up as well. Use this approach to the extent that it makes sense for you to use it.

In the meantime, Christmas is a celebration of love, not of presents. I hope your Christmas is filled with joy, beauty and all the people who are special to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment